Chris Newcomb, M.Div.
Gratitude is a subject that is most often discussed in November each year as people gather to 'eat the bird and share a word'. You know the drill: eat the turkey and stuffing until you're stuffed and then watch football until you fall into a turkey-induced nap. Ah, the holidays!
How often, though, do we forget the reasons behind holidays? I won't bore you with historical details about the origins of thanksgiving. I'll just point out that being thankful was definitely a part of it! I am also known as 'Captain Obvious'!
I thought for this blog article, I would share my personal gratitude list as Turkey Day looms in the very near future (less than 48 hours from the time of this writing). Without further ado, here is my personal gratitude list…
1. Eyes. I take them for granted every day. Besides seeing the beauty of the world, I get to wear glasses. This is a fashion statement.
2. Ears. Besides having to clean them, I love my ears. They allow me to hear the voices of those who care for me, the laughter of a child, the song of a bird in a tree, and the sound of the crowd when the Dallas Cowboys score a touchdown. Life is good when you can hear.
3. Feet. I quite like my feet They get me around. Pretty handy. Or is that pretty feet-y?
4. Food. It does a body good. Skip a meal and you realize how quickly food is important of your body.
5. Connections. Yes, I like a good cellphone connection. However, I prefer in-person connections. I am blessed with many family and friends who support me and mean a lot to me.
Why not take a few minutes this Thanksgiving week and make a gratitude list? You'll be amazed at how much you can be grateful for even in the midst of stress and life complications. Recovery is the greatest gift to be grateful for because it gives people a chance to start anew. Happy Thanksgiving! Be safe. Be grateful. Be sober.
If you or someone you love is in need of detox off of opiates, alcohol, benzos, Methadone, or Suboxone, please do not hesitate to call Jennifer Pius or Amy Stewart at 1-877-773-3869. We are here to help you!